Inspired Fashion Reports from Asia

15 July 2010

Shoes, the beginning of the end

My Shoes, Very Worn In, After 3 monts


2010 Alexander Wang


I realize that this may be the beginning of many blog pieces regarding shoes in Hong Kong. First and foremost, unique shoes are everywhere and all at affordable prices (meaning between $30-$100 USD). The only challenge, if you are above a size 8 (Euro 38) you may have some difficulty finding sizes. There are so many shoe stores selling wares from China, Korea and Thailand. I have heard rumors (and I will do further research), that the same factories which make shoes for top designer and luxury brands also make shoes for the mass market-at times knocking off shoes-with small changes--and yes, the same quality. And I can prove my point. A few months back, I found a pair of shoes at a HK based shop called B + a b (I will review shop later). $51.00 USD. Comfortable. Well made. Genius.

Why can I NEVER find good shoes in NYC for such prices? Yawn, Aldo.

Few weeks into my purchase, I walked into Lane Crawford's shoe section. Darted for the Alexander Wang section (he is popular here, not a surprise) looking for his Spring 2010 collection (i failed to pay attention to the shoes during his show). And what do I see? My shoes. My shoes, at a price of $750.00 USD. Snickering (sorry Alexander, I do adore you), I tried on a pair. With the exception of a better heel (Wangs), the quality was exactly the same. Since these shoes were on the store shelves at the same time, all based on a photo, these were knocked off, and who knows, perhaps they share the same factory....

Not certain if this is a fashion victory. I design clothes.

And I will get into the ethics of "knock off" later. Its a heavy subject and I have yet to develop an intelligent framework. Don't get the claws out yet...

No comments: